Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian (Ostrovets)
Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian (Belarusian Kaszol Saints Kazma and Damian) – a Catholic church in the city of Ostrovets, Grodno region, Belarus. Belongs to the Ostrovets deanery of the Grodno diocese. An architectural monument in the style of classicism, built in 1785-1787. Included in the State List of Historical and Cultural Values of the Republic of Belarus.StoryIn 1458 a Catholic parish was founded in Ostrovets. At the beginning of the 17th century, Ostrovets became the of the Korsakov family, who built a Dominican monastery and a wooden church here in 1616-1618.In 1785-1787, a modern stone building of the Church of Cosmas and Damian was built on the site of the wooden one.After the suppression of the 1863 uprising, a large number of Catholic churches in the territory of modern Belarus were transferred to the Orthodox. Among them was the Ostrovets Catholic Church, which was transferred in 1866. After the transfer, a dome with an onion dome was added over the church.According to the Riga Peace Treaty (1921), Ostrovets became part of the interwar Polish Republic, in 1918 the temple was returned to the Catholics, the onion head was . During the Soviet period, the temple was not closed.ArchitectureKosmodamiansky temple is a monument of classicism architecture with baroque features. It is a three-aisled basilica with a flat altar wall of the presbytery (there is no apse). All parts of the temple are united in a strict rectangular volume, covered with a common roof. The main facade has a two-tiered symmetrical axial composition, in the center there is a four-column portico of the Ionic order with a triangular pediment. In the upper part of the facade there is a massive attic, decorated with a three-bladed arch-niche in the center and arched niches on the sides. The side facades are by arched window openings, wide blades in the piers and are surrounded by a .The main volume of the temple is divided by four columns into three naves. Two side vestries are located on either side of the presbytery. The central wide nave is covered with a cylindrical vault with stripping, the narrower side naves are cross-shaped.